Sunday, September 13, 2009

Just Another Sunday?

So my husband, Earnest, calls an important executive meeting today and informs me that we need to meet to discuss critical issues and matters that will affect the day, and I'm thinking, "Oh great! It's Sunday. What's this all about?", I'm racking my brain trying to figure out, "What could be so crucial?"

I rush to get to the meeting. As I sit down and prepare myself, my mind starts racing and I'm wondering, "What could be so important?"

"Could I have forgotten something?", I'm wondering. "Was I supposed to take care of something that I let slip through the cracks?"

"Oh dear, what could it be?", I'm thinking.

For the life of me, I cannot come up with anything.

So Earnest opens the meeting and with a straight face and not skipping a beat mind you, my husband looks right at me and asks in a very serious tone, "So...what's for dinner?"

"I don't know.", I answer.

"You know what we haven't had?", he asks.

"What?", I ask.

"Burgers.", he replies.

"Burgers?", I ask.

"Yes, Dianna's famous hamburgers.", he states.

"Okay, we'll have burgers.", I respond.

"With french fries?", he asks excitedly.

"Yes!", I answer.

"The crunchy kind?", he asks.

"Yes, the crunchy kind.", I say.

"But not too crunchy for Maria. And burn mine," he replies.

"With ketchup?", he inquires.

"We are out of ketchup, but I can pick some up from the store if you'd like?", I ask.

"With lots of cheese on the burger?, he asks sounding like a kid.

"Yes, lots of cheese!", I reply.

"What kind of cheese?" he wants to know.

"What kind would you like?, I ask impatiently, trying to sound like I'm not.

"What kinds are there?", he asks.

"Ooh que la...", I'm thinking to myself. (Ooh que la is Spanish slang used mostly in the Mexican-American community that means..."I don't believe this!"

"American, cheddar, pepper jack...", I start naming off.

"Pepper jack!", he exclaims excitedly.

"Is that the kind that's spicy?, he interrupts and asks before I can reply.

"Ooh yes...put a lot of that on my burger!", he continues not allowing me to get in a word edgewise.

"Hunk it!", he exclaims raising his voice. (Hunk is another word for load it up.)

"And make my burger thick!", he demands before I can respond.

"And burn it!", he adds.

Then a moment of silence passed and we both looked at each other awkwardly.

"Is that it?", I ask hesitantly. Uncertain if I should. Not really wanting to open THAT door.

"Yes.", he answers.

Meeting adjourned.

2 comments:

Paul Light said...

Well, thank you for that delicious dialog and minutes of your exec. session. I, also, presume that these minutes will be available for disputes, additions, and revisions for 10 (ten) business days at which point they will be considered agreed upon by all parties.

P. Luz et al

Dianna Perales-Harris said...

Paul, you're hilarious!