Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Price Tag

So, I'm stumped!

I cannot figure out why my 12 year old daughter is so opposed to our family purchasing nice items or acquiring things she perceives as too costly.

She had an adverse reaction recently when I just went 'window shopping' for a Coach handbag.

Mind you, I have 'one' already.

I have a total of three handbags. Only one is a Coach! The other two are not expensive.

The other night the family went to price a new watch for dad. We spotted a really nice one - a Bulova.

She was so uncomfortable in the jewelry store! The whole time she kept saying, "That's too much!"

Tonight we announced that we have a professional cleaning lady coming in tomorrow to give us a quote on what they would charge to clean our home. My daughter got so upset that she was moved to tears!

Huh?

Don't get me wrong. We appreciate her being frugal and not insisting on having brand name clothing.

Our family had to explain to her that sometimes it is better to pay a little more for quality.

We also explained that we do work very hard and on occasion, it really is okay to reward oneself.

What we can't figure out is why she is so opposed to our family having really nice things.

So I asked her why it bothers her so much.

She said that she is afraid to be perceived as being rich.

Huh?

A. We are not rich!

B. If we were, why would that bother her?

C. Why does she think being rich is a bad thing?

D. What am I missing here?

I need some time on the meditation cushion to figure this one out!

No comments: