Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Signs of Old Age

Today it finally happened. I am embarrassed to admit it, but I cannot deny it any longer. I am getting old and losing it. That fact was made very clear to me in the most humiliating way.

I was sitting in the waiting area at a Toyota dealership in a room with about fifteen people all waiting for their cars to be serviced as well. I just happened to look down at my feet and noticed that the black shoes I thought I had on were not black at all but NAVY!

And then right there in front of everyone and for no apparent reason, I let out the biggest, "HA!" and started laughing hysterically. Everyone in the room looked at me as though I had just lost my mind.

After my little moment, I immediately looked to see what else I was wearing and noticed that I had on a black top, khaki pants and a grey sweater! Nothing I had on matched. Imagine my surprise. And those darn navy shoes! I decided to 'try' to hide the top by zipping up my sweater and then it occurred to me, "Oh no, how am I going to hide the fact that my black purse will not match with my navy shoes!"

Well needless to say, I was relieved when I was buzzed by the service department that my car was ready. I scooted out of that place and couldn't wait to get the you-know-what out of there!

When I got home, I told my husband what had happened and his response floored me. "I thought you knew the shoes were navy when you bought them." I was blown away. I bought the shoes a couple of months ago and really believed they were black. I would never have purchased navy shoes. Everything I wear is black to make me look slimmer. (Yes, I am that shallow!)

A little history about the shoes. I had seen them several times at the mall and kept eye-balling them until they were finally marked down to a price that suited me. I actually spotted them months ago and refused to pay full price for them. So, I really thought I was getting a great deal on those cute little black heeled sandals that would go great with my little black dress.

In fact, the day I bought them, I was so excited, that I ran to my closet as soon as I got home, slipped into my little black dress, touched up my lipstick and ran into the living room to model the whole outfit for my husband. I went on and on about how cute the shoes were and how much I loved them.

As I played the event over in my mind today, I just had to ask my husband (in my best trying-to-not-sound-mad voice), "Why didn't you tell me the shoes were not black?" His calm and honest response, "You were so happy...besides, I figured you knew they were navy and were bucking to get a navy outfit or handbag as well...you've done that before Dianna!"

I was appalled! And hurt. And to make matters worse, my husband had the audacity to imitate the way I modeled the shoes the day I bought them. It was too much for me to take. He was hilarious. We both fell out laughing.

So, I have been duly shamed and do hereby admit, it's time for me to slow down a bit. I'm getting old and can no longer deny the signs of aging, whatever color they come in!

No comments: