Monday, April 6, 2009

No Obstacles, Just Opportunities

I had the nicest compliment the other day from out-of-the-blue. At least it seemed like one. And yet it was a real lesson for me too.

One of my co-workers came up to me and asked very seriously, "How do you do it Dianna?"

At first I was a little thrown off by the question.

"Do what?", I asked.

"What you do", she replied. "You know, whenever someone comes up to you with a problem, you listen to them, and no matter how big or impossible it seems to everyone else, you smile and then you're off and within minutes, you come back with a solution!"

At this point I cracked up.

She looked at me and said, "Seriously Dianna! There are no obstacles for you!"

I laughed so hard I thought I would pee in my pants! But, my co-worker was really being sincere. (So I composed myself immediately) and had to ask, "What are you talking about?"

She then went on to tell me, "I watch you and you make everything look so easy and what is so strange is that here you are this very small woman. You look like a little girl from a distance and I see you talking to people so serious and you make them laugh and I see them nodding their heads in agreement with you and then you come back all happy. Next thing I know. Problem solved!"

"Wow!", I told her, "you give me way too much credit."

She was silent for a moment and then said somewhat sadly, "I would never be able to go ask for help or even think to tell someone that I have a problem."

"Really?", I asked her.

"Dianna, not everyone can do what you do!" she said a little irritated with me.

I apologized and told her that I too have problems and face great obstacles every day. The way I go about solving challenges may be different, but that I'm not special by any means. But, what I have learned is that 'no' sometimes means - find another way.

Sometimes obstacles are really opportunities. And the most important lesson I have learned is that I don't have all the answers, but maybe, just maybe if I share my needs with others, someone, something, some 'way' will present itself. I admitted that I actually rely on the kindness of others in many instances to bail me out of what might seem like impossible situations. But I will never know if my 'problem' or any 'problem' can be solved if I or we don't go look for help. Share the situation. Or even ask for help. Sometimes we just have to 'make' something happen somehow.

In the end, I'm not sure if my co-worker bought what I was saying. She still seemed a little dismayed. But, it was interesting to hear her perspective of me. I don't see it. I feel like I live my life in the land of the Philistines just like everyone else fighting giants all day. It seems like one thing after another. Money issues, car issues, house issues, work issues, business issues, health issues, family issues...we all have problems.

Anybody got a BIG rock?

2 comments:

underOvr (aka The U) said...

Good afternoon,

I am visiting your blog by way of Shirl's Shades of Black and White blog.

You mentioned living in Austin and when I saw the name Perales, I thought what a coincidence.

My youngest son (who lives in Austin) married a beautiful woman whose family name is also Perales, so it's a small world we live in.

I enjoyed reading this post on seeing obstacles as opportunities.

U

Dianna Perales-Harris said...

Thanks for stopping by. Indeed it is a small world!