Monday, January 19, 2009

Greatest Day Ever!

Today was the greatest day ever! Our family spent the whole day down in Leimert Park, here in southern California, at the Annual Kingdom Day Parade in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Unlike the Tournament of Roses Parade, we were able to leave the house at 9:00 a.m. to secure a prime spot and didn't have to camp out over night! The parade started at 10:30 a.m. and usually lasts for two hours, but today it went on for hours. My last count was 240 entries at 2:30 p.m. and the parade had not ended! (The Rose Parade has only 89 entries!)

After the parade we walked over to the plaza and ate up! We had fried catfish, wings, french fries, sweet potatoe pie, snow cones, nachos, cotton candy, hot links, chips and well...let's just say that our family will probably have very bad tummy aches tonight!

What a wonderful feeling of excitement there was in the air. People were dancing, laughing, and just enjoying each other. The 82 degree weather was a treat as well as it was the perfect temperature for a perfect day. (I love LA!)

There were so many people there (of all ethnicities) and most of them were sporting Obama and Dr. King T-shirts. Mostly Obama.

I jokingly mentioned to Earnest, my husband, that I'd love to open a store and sell Obama-bilia! His popularity alone could probably bail us out of our national deficit!

Something was definitely very different about today's parade than others we have attended in previous years. There was a sense of hope and readiness for change. Long awaited change. You could feel it. People were so friendly and just wanted to celebrate. There was a true feeling of unity. A confirmation of a dream fulfilled. And that we should continue to dream and never give up on our dreams.

I'm sure that tomorrow's events of President-Elect Obama's Inauguration was on everyone's mind and it contributed to the excitement of the day.

As I looked out into the crowd and thought of everyone Dr. King touched, I could not help but feel grateful. Grateful to Dr. King and the many who made today's celebration of his dream - a reality.

Thank you Dr. King!

1 comment:

Zen said...

"I jokingly mentioned to Earnest, my husband, that I'd love to open a store and sell Obama-bilia! His popularity alone could probably bail us out of our national deficit!"

I said something similar to that the other day. I was surprised the economy was not doing better with all the Obama stuff for sale everywhere! Over the next few weeks sales should go nuts