Sunday, August 8, 2010

Faith In Action

Today at mass, Father gave a sermon on faith. He used a baseball analogy. He said that faith is that place between first and second base. Some of us are so happy to get on first base and have no idea if we will make it to second base! And yet, we give it our best shot not knowing what the final outcome will be. He described that feeling of uncertainty as faith in action.

Others he said, never get on base and some, won't even step up to the plate to play for fear of the outcome!

In the end though, he said that it is God's will that we all play and make it home safely. But we can't do that unless we build the courage to get in the game in the first place! The game being - LIVING LIFE FULLY!! (And yes, fearlessly!)

It is so easy to sit back and just watch life pass us by never being fulling engaged. Heck, I have done that! More than I care to share! For just plain fear that I will fail and that my failure is tied to whether I am or am not successful!

What I took away from Father's message is that unless we get in the game FULLY, playing to WIN, even when we don't FEEL like playing, our faith CANNOT and WILL NOT increase.

He said finally, that God does not call us to be successful, HE calls us to be faithful. When we are faithful, then success is the by-product of putting our faith in action. But, WE have to get our faith going first! Faith needs action! It needs momentum.

It works like this: I take a step. God takes a step. I take another step. God does His part! I take a step...

(DING..light bulb turning on!) Ohhhhh, so, that's what I have been doing wrong!!! God has been waiting on ME to move!!! :)

No comments: