Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Home - That Very Special Place


Today I spoke to my Mom on the phone and it always amazes me when we do talk that she will ask, "So Mija, when are you coming home?"

My response is usually the same, "To visit Mom?" And then there is that awkward silence on the phone. I don't think my Mom realizes that Los Angeles is MY HOME now and it has been for 12 years!

My mother is not the only one from my hometown who has asked me that question. I get it a lot from family and friends back in Austin, Texas. It's as if somehow a) my response will be different from the last time they asked or b) they are under the impression that the twelve years I have been in LA is only temporary. 12 years is not temporary!

I do have an address here and have had one for quite sometime! I"m not leaving LA! Unless of course for some reason I would need to go back to my hometown for other than a visit.

Truth be known, I have no desire to be anywhere else but where I am. My family and I have built a home here, a business, and are a part of a vibrant community. Our kids love their school, their friends and their extracurricular activities. They don't know anything but LA. It is THEIR home.

So what makes a place a home?

I believe it is that very special place where there is no doubt in one's mind - this is where I belong.

I love waking up and looking out my window every morning and being inspired by the mountains that surround me! I see God's majesty and glory in those mountains.

The 345 days of sunshine is a reminder to me that the sun really will come out tomorrow and it gives me so much hope.

The incredible vibe of creativity that is all around me is such a high. I wish I could put it into words!

Los Angeles, the City of Angels, is where I belong.

To all my friends and family back in Austin, I love you and miss you. But this IS my home and I am incredibly happy, blessed, and at peace.

No comments: